Available for readings, workshops, presentations & ceremonies.
I’m thrilled to share the reasons why poetry is a perfect creative medium to represent the spirit, innovation, and imagination of Santa Fe. I’m in awe of how special Santa Fe is because of an illuminated communion between sky, light, people, clouds, shadow, earth, ritual, ancestry, land, time, energy, mountains, and wind, that can only be described as divine alchemy. Santa Fe is poetry.
(as past program ambassador)
My vision for the Poet Laureate program:
As past Poet Laureate Ambassador, I was honored to bring together my main passions: inspiring people, my love of Santa Fe, and sharing poetry’s unlimited potential. My vision was to create access, expression, and inspiration, for all. I believe that relevant poets and poetry can be offered in such a way that people can see familiarity in the work, and as such, can make more meaningful connections to themselves, and the world around them.
My service fulfilled a critical role in creating connections, widening literary access, and cultivating cultural equity. Each element required specific skills as a compassionate educator, an artist in organic expression, and as an adept visionary. Cultivation needs authentic care and love.
Outreach initiatives included:
* Elevating the relevance, accessibility, and prominence of poetry as an essential cultural art form, and as part of Santa Fe’s repertoire of renown cultural offerings.
* Finding creative ways to integrate poetry into everyday life, through visibility at places where people are everyday, including laundromats, grocery stores, hardware stores.
* Present a wide diversity of poetry authors, styles, perspectives, and voices, to challenge, connect, and inspire.
* Collaborating with hotels & restaurants to offer both locals and visitors poetry education and access for guest enjoyment, including workshops, poem placements on tabletops, with check-in/out materials, or to accompany guest meal checks.
* Conducting community-based poetry workshops related to inclusion and access at schools, community centers, senior centers, and after-school programs.
* Supporting the City of Santa Fe’s first responder personnel with workshops related to writing and reading poetry to help cope with trauma, and as a means for mental health and wellness.
* Embarking on multi-media poetry projects with arts organizations across disciplines such as dance, photography, visual, and graphic arts.